Regardless of why you are travelling to the city of Melbourne you will be pleased to know that this dynamic and vibrant city has plenty of things to do and attractions that will not only keep you and the family entertained but are also attractive to all of your senses. From exciting rides, relaxing walks through the park and thrilling sproting events through to educational exhibits, great shopping and cultural performances the city of Melbourne has something for everyone. Melbourne is often referred to as the sporting and cultural capital of Australia and is also home to numerous international talents and celebrities.
One of the best things about Melbourne is that you will never be short of something to do whilst staying in the city. The city prides itself on being a very dynamic and cosmopolitan city with an excellent cultural background, wonderful food and sophisticated sense of style and fashion.
Some of the most interesting things to see and do in Melbourne include :
- Royal Botanic Garden - just a short walk from the Melbourne CBD and Southbank precinct is the tranquil surrounds of the botanic gardens, which are a popular place to have a relaxing picnic, go for an evening stroll, have a cup of coffee or even take a jog around 'The Tan' running track that runs around the gardens.
- Scienceworks - families that have older children will appreciate all of the fun learning that can be had at the scienceworks museum. The interactive exhibits at this attraction provide kids with lots of knowlegde about science without them even realizing that they are learning.
- Puffing Billy Steam Train - located in the outer eastern suburbs of Melbourne at the foothills of the picturesque Dandenong Ranges this historic stream train is a great day out for families with kids of all ages as well as train enthusiasts.
- Neighbours Tour - one of Melbourne's most famous TV show exports is Neighbours and you can take a tour to the famous 'Ramsey Street' in the suburban area of outer Melbourne.
- St Kilda Beach - if you are looking for relaxing day out then why not visit the St Kilda beach, or cycle, jog, rollerblade or take a romantic walk along the foreshore and St Kilda Pier.
- Luna Park - if you are travelling to Melbourne with kids or you are just a big kid yourself then spend some time at Luna Park, which is located in St Kilda and has lots of exciting rides and amusements that will keep you entertained all day long.
- Queen Victoria Market - spend a day exploring the expanses of this traditional market, where you can find lots of fresh and organic produce, meats, numerous delicatessans, bakeries and a variety of other stalls selling bargains on all sorts of different items.
- Eureka SkyDeck - as the tallest building in Melbourne and the Southern Hemisphere you will be able to get some great panoramic views over all of Melbourne from the observation deck. You can also experience the excitement of the 'The Edge' attraction where you end up standing on a floor of glass 88 stories up in the air.
- Melbourne Cricket Ground (MCG) - the world famous MCG is an amazing place to watch an AFL football match during winter or a game of cricket suring summer. You can also take a visit to the Sporting Hall of Fame at the MCG which showcases lots of interesting exhibits from all sorts of different sports.
- Theatrical Performances - the city of Melbourne has a large number of different theatres all of which have a variety of performances and stage shows running at any one time, ensuring that there is sure to be something to suit your artistic taste when you visit Melbourne.