The Southbank precinct is a relatively busy part of Melbourne, but because it is a modern suburb willed with comtemporary high-rise buildings, hotels and offices it is an extremely popular place to stay.
With you choose to stay in Southbank you will be able to explore the intricate maze of alleyways and lanes in the CBD, which adds interest to all people who are ready to explore and experience surprises at every step.
Southbank is ideally positioned just over the Yarra River from the Melbourne CBD and is a vibrant suburb with an exciting retail precinct and lots of fashionable cafes. Travellers really enjoy this suburb because it has a vibrant energy, lots of artistic performances along the promenade, staggering choice of waterfront restaurants, funky boutique shops, cool bars, unbeatable galleries and of course the popular Crown Casino Entertainment Complex.
The Southbank precinct is very much about lifestyle and with its modern design and promenade along the Yarra River it is no wonder that Melbourne was named in an international poll as the world’s most livable city.
Southbank has plenty of different things to see and do situated close by, including:
- The Eureka Tower (the tallest building in Melbourne) where you can get a great view over all of Melbourne from the observation deck as well as experience exciting attractions like the 'The Edge'.
- Plenty of fashion shops where you can find something special for yourself, your family or as a present for others.
- A selection of waterfront cafes, bars and restaurants that serve delicious coffees and food, as well as a selection of mouth-watering desserts.
- The Botanic Gardens is close by which is a relaxing place to have a walk, go for a picnic or enjoy a run around 'The Tan' jogging track.
- The MCG is also close by where you can watch exciting games of Australian Rules Football during winter and Cricket during the summer.
Whenever you travel to Southbank you will discover that the best part of visiting a new city is when you depart from the normal tourist routes and glimpse the city’s “real” atmosphere. While the big attractions can often be fun most people generally find that the more subtle “insider” experiences in a city will leave you feeling more satisfied.
Accommodation in Southbank
Throughout the Southbank there are numerous accommodation options available, ranging from fully self contained serviced apartments and luxury hotels right through to budget motel and backpacker accommodation. Here is a comprehensive list of all the Southbank accommodation that is available including properties with discount rates for longer stays.
Restaurants in Southbank
There are numerous restaurants in Southbank and they reflect the diverse range of cuisines that are on offer throughout the entire region of Melbourne. The Southbank precinst has a reputation as being a cosmopolitan place to enjoy a relaxing evening meal overlooking the Yarra River or a coffee during the afternoon. People from all over Melbourne, interstate and overseas come to Southbank to make the most of the vast array of resco bars, cosmopolitan cafes and fine dining restaurants that this precinct offers.
The restaurant areas in Southbank precinct are :
- Southbank Waterfront - there are a vast array of quality restaurants overlooking the Yarra River and providing travellers with a unique dining experience that they will not forget.
- Crown Casino - within crown casino itself and along the Yarra River waterfront you will find a multitude of exclusive dining restaurants (that are best booked in advance) and also more affordable dining options (including the food courts inside the casino).
- Southgate Food Court - the food court within the Southgate complex has a number of very affordable food outlets including a popular ice cream parlour.
- Federation Square - on the corner of Flinders and Swanston Streets has a nice selection of quality eateries to suit any budget.
Shopping in Southbank
Retail Therapy is an important part of Southbank and everyone who stays in or visits this precinct is amazed at the vast array of shops that it has. Southbank includes a wide selection of boutique stores, exclusive fashion outlets, music stores, art galleries, homeware shops and craft stores. There are also lots of beauty shops specializing in skin, hair and nails. The main shopping strip in the Southbank precinct are in the Southgate Shopping Complex which has somehting for everyone. Also within the Crown Casino Entertainment Complex you will be able to browse through the designer labels from fashion icons like Hugo Boss, Versace, Burberry and Harrolds. From SOuthbank you can easily go shopping in all of the major shopping regions within the Melbourne CBD as well.