The inner city suburb of South Melbourne is conveniently positioned only a short distance away from the Melbourne city centre, which is why it such a popular place to stay for visitors.
South Melbourne provides all types of travellers with a relaxed atmosphere surrounded by parklands, numerous things for people to experience and affordable accommodation rates, all within close proximity to the Melbourne CBD.
South Melbourne is ideally positioned only 2 kilometres south of the Melbourne city centre and is a vibrant suburb that is popular among locals and tourists. It has an exciting retail precinct, lots of fashionable cafes, a wide choice of restaurants, cool bars and nightlife entertainment, art galleries and the South Melbourne Market which offers a wide variety of fresh fruit and vegetables and deli goods.
If you are looking for a place to stay in the city which has a relaxed lifestyle in one of the most cosmopolitan suburbs in the world’s most livable city then look no further than South Melbourne.
South Melbourne's Attractions
South Melbourne has lots of different things to see and do situated close by, including:
- The popular South Melbourne Market is a great place to visit, where you can find lots of fresh produce and well as bargains on all sorts of different items.
- Lots of trendy cafes that serve delicious snacks, desserts, coffees and lattes.
- The Albert Park Lake where you can have a relaxing picnic, go for a run around the lakeside joggin track and is also the home of the famous Melbourne Formula 1 Grand Prix every March.
- The Melbourne Sports and Aquatic Centre (MSAC) which not only has excellent facilities for swimming and diving but also has places where you can play indoor sports like badminton, squash, aerobics and much more.
- The Eureka Tower is close by, where you can get a great view over all of Melbourne from the observation deck as well as experience exciting attractions like the 'The Edge'.
Accommodation in South Melbourne
Throughout the South Melbourne there are numerous accommodation options available, ranging from fully self contained serviced apartments and luxury hotels right through to budget motel and backpacker accommodation. Click here for a full list of South Melbourne hotels and apartments with discount rates for longer stays.
Restaurants in South Melbourne
Within the confines of the South Melbourne suburb travellers will discover a wonderful selection of restaurants which serve a range of cuisines from all over the world. South Melbourne has developed a reputation as being a great place to enjoy an evening meal or a coffee during the afternoon. This is reflected by the many alfresco bars, cosmopolitan cafes and other eating establishments that the suburb has.
Some restaurant areas in South Melbourne include :
- Clarendon Street - right along this main street in South Melbourne there are plenty of bakeries, cafes, take-away outlets, bars and fine dining restaurants.
- South Melbourne Market - within the market itself and on the surrounding streets you will see lots of place to enjoy a delicious meal, quiet ale or refreshing coffee.
- Park Street - scattered along this street you will find a number of popular restaurants and trendy cafes.
Shopping in South Melbourne
Shopping is one of the great attractions that brings people to and makes people want to stay in the South Melbourne area. The suburb is known for its wide variety of shops along the main shopping strip of Clarendon Street. Here you will discover plenty of beauty shops, boutique stores, galleries, home ware outlets and clothing stores selling everything from pants and dresses to shoes and suits. Also there are numerous cosmopolitan places where you can have a latte and a bite to eat during your shopping in South Melbourne.
Also within this suburb is the popular South Melbourne Market which is filled with a wide variety of clothing stalls, novelty shops, craft stores, fresh food outlets, cafes and other stalls where you can get all of your day to day needs.