As the capital city of Victoria travellers to Melbourne will discover that there is a vast selection of shopping opportunities available. Not matter what you are looking for or what sort of taste you have Melbourne has something for everyone. There are major shopping centres that are filled with fashion boutiques, homeware stores, kids toystores, major department stores and supermarkets, as well as popular open-air and undercover markets where you can buy all of your fresh fruit, vegetables, meat and other produce. Other shoppers in Melbourne prefer to spend their time walking along traditional shopping strips where you can get personalized service and still find plenty of bargains.
Another very popular type of shopping in Melbourne is Direct Factory Outlets where you will get a large variety of fashions at heavily discounted prices. There are even special shopping tours that specialize it taking you around all of these shopping hotspots to ensure that you get more value for your shopping dollar. This wonderful array of great shopping places attracts people from all over the world and interstate to Melbourne. The city prides itself on its sophisticated sense of style and fashion and with so many areas to visit you will be sure to find whatever it is that takes your fancy.
Some of the main shopping areas in Melbourne include :
- Melbourne Central - located on Latrobe Street in the CBD between Elizabeth and Swanston Streets this busy shopping centre has a range of stores selling everything from clothes and jewellery through to homewares and luggage.
- Bourke Street Mall - ideally positioned in the middle of the city centre this popular mall is home to the famous Myer and David Jones department stores, as well as having a number of other fashion, music, homeware and boutique shops.
- Harbour Town Shopping Centre - open late at night this shopping centre sells all sorts of items including homewares, gifts, kids toys, music and clothing fashions.
- Chadstone Shopping Centre - this is Melbourne's largest shopping centre and is located on Dandenong Road in the east of the city. At Chadstone you will find a huge number of shops selling everything imaginable, as well as numerous department stores, food courts and supermarkets.
- Direct Factory Outlets - with outlets in Essendon, Moorabbin and Spencer Street in the CBD these factory outlet centres have numerous stores selling all sorts of clothing items and other apparel.
- Bridge Road - here you will discover exclusive fashion boutiques as well as bargains on a wide variety of different items in the streets many factory outlets.
- Chapel Street & Toorak Road - these streets in South Yarra are famous for their exclusive retail outlets, fashion boutiques, variety stores, cosmopolitan cafes and the Jam Factory shopping complex.
- Queen Victoria Market - as Melbourne's largest market you will be able to pick up a bargain on belts, clothes, shoes, arts & crafts, pictures, kids toys, jewellery and much more. The market also includes a large selection of affordable fresh produce, organic vegetables, bakeries, butchers, delicatessans and fish mongers.
- South Melbourne Market - is a popular market which is filled with a large range of clothing stalls, novelty shops, craft stores, fresh food outlets, cafes and other stalls selling all sorts of unique items.
- Prahran Market - is one of Melbourne's oldest markets and boasts a large selection of gourmet foods, discount meats and fresh produce.
- High Street Armadale - is known for its comprehensive collection of antique shops, bridal dress shops and clothing stores, as well as shops selling plenty of other quality items.