The inner city suburb of Richmond is conveniently positioned just a short distance to the east of the city centre of Melbourne. This great, central location is what makes Richmond such a popular place to stay.
Richmond provides all types of visitors to the city with a more relaxed atmosphere, plenty of things to experience and affordable accommodation rates, all within close proximity to the Melbourne CBD.
Richmond is well situated only 3 kilometres east of the Melbourne city centre and is an exciting suburb with an exciting retail precinct that has lots of fashion shops and factory outlets. Travellers really enjoy this suburb because it has a vibrant energy, vast array of restaurants, funky boutiques, cool bars, trendy cafes and of course is only walking distance to the famous MCG.
If you are looking for a place to stay in Melbourne that has a great lifestyle and is one of the most cosmopolitan suburbs in the world’s most livable city then look no further than Richmond.
Richmond has plenty of different things to see and do situated close by, including:
- The MCG (Melbourne Cricket Ground) is in Richmond where you can watch exciting games of Australian Rules Football during winter and Cricket during the summer.
- The Melbourne Park Tennis Centre which is home to the Australian Open Tennis Tournament every January.
- The Vodaphone Arena that plays host to many major concerts, shows and live performances throughout the year.
- Lots of trendy cafes that serve great coffees, lattes and snacks, as well as having a selection of delicious cakes.
- Plenty of fashion shops where you will be able to discover something special for yourself, your family or as a present for others.
Here is some inside information to help you discover Australia's second largest city, which is also the capital city of Victoria.
Accommodation in Richmond
Throughout the Richmond there are numerous accommodation options available, ranging from fully self contained serviced apartments and luxury hotels right through to budget motel and backpacker accommodation. Click here for a comprehensive list of the Richmond accommodation options including places with discount rates for long term stays.
Restaurants in Richmond
There are a large number of restaurants in Richmond and they reflect the diverse range of cuisines that are on offer throughout Melbourne. However, this inner city suburb is mostly famous for the huge restaurant strip along Bridge Road and the region known as "Little Vietnam" along Victoria Street. Melbourne has a reputation as being a culinary capital and this is relected perfectly in the popular suburb of Richmond.
Some restaurant areas in Richmond include :
- Bridge Road - right along this road you will find a variety of cafes, tapas bars, take-away outlets and fine dining restaurants serving all sorts of different dishes from around the world.
- Victoria Street - this area is known for its wide selection of delicious Vietnamese restaurants serving food for all budgets.
- Swan Street - this street has plenty of dining options ranging from budget food outlets right through to exclusive restaurants.
- Church Street - there are a number of quality restaurants along this street including the ever popular Rio's Barzilian restaurant.
Shopping in Richmond
Shopping is one of the great attractions that brings people from all over Melbourne and interstate to the suburb of Richmond. The suburb is known for its comprehensive completion of direct factory outlets which are mainly concentrated around the Bridge Road shopping strip. Here you will be able to find an absolute bargain on a wide variety of different items including everything from shoes and dresses to ties and suits. Richmond also features many boutique shops, fresh produce outlets, homeware stores and craft shops along the major shopping strips of Swan Street, Church Street and Victoria Street.