The city centre is the busiest area of Melbourne but a suburb like Port Melbourne which is ideally situated just 5 kilometres south west of the CBD is a great place to stay. This is because it is located within a close proximity to the city centre but provides a much more relaxed feel and has plenty of things for all sorts of travellers to experience and explore.
There is much to love about Port Melbourne, just ask all of the local people. They absolutely adore the suburbs vibrant energy, great choice of restaurants, funky boutique shops, cafes, cool bars and the beach front area with its popular running track where you can cycle, run, rollerblade or just take a relaxing stroll with someone special.
By choosing to stay in the beach side suburb of Port Melbourne you have chosen lifestyle ablve all else, as it is one of the best and most affluent suburbs in the world’s most livable city.
Port Melbourne's Attractions
Port Melbourne has lot of different things to see located close by, including:
- Within this inner city suburb you will find lots of lovely historic houses along the waterfront that are full of great architectural features.
- The main shopping strips in Port Melbourne feature wonderful fashion shops where you can find something special for yourself, your family or as a present for others.
- There are plenty of cosmopolitan cafes that serve delicious coffees and lattes, as well as having a selection of mouth-watering desserts.
- Close proximity to the MCG where you can watch exciting games of Footy (or Australian Rules Football) during winter and Cricket during the summer.
- Close proximity to the beach where you can watch the waves lap the shore, go for a realxing walk or have fun with the kids in the safe, swimming waters of Port Phillip Bay.
Accommodation in Port Melbourne
Throughout the Port Melbourne there are numerous accommodation options available, ranging from fully self contained serviced apartments and luxury hotels right through to budget motel and backpacker accommodation. Click here for a complete list of all the Port Melbourne accommodation options including cheaper rates for long stays.
Restaurants in Port Melbourne
There are a wonderful selection of fine dining restaurants in Port Melbourne which serve a range of cuisines from all over the world. Port Melbourne has fast developed a reputation as being a cosmopolitan place to enjoy an evening meal or a coffee during the afternoon and this is typified by the number of alfresco eating establishments that the suburb has.
Some of the main restaurant areas in Port Melbourne include :
- Bay Street - right along this street you will discover a multitude of trendy bars, cosmopolitan cafes and fine dining restaurants that serve all sorts of cuisines.
- Beacon Cove - here you will find a number of exceptional waterfront restaurants with views over Port Phillip Bay, as well as a great fish-n-chip shop.
- Beach Street (Esplanade) - overlooking the water are a number of affordable eateries, hotels serving meals and also more exclusive restaurants.
Shopping in Port Melbourne
Shopping and "retail therapy" is a very important part of Port Melbourne and the suburb consequently has a wide selection of boutiques stores, fashion outlets, bookstores, galleries, homeware shops and novelty stores, as well as lots of beauty shops specializing in skin, hair and nails. The main shopping strip in Port Melbourne is right along the busy Bay Street and here you will be able to pick up lots of great bargains, gifts, crafts and artworks. Also there are numerous cosmopolitan places where you can have a latte and a bite to eat during your shopping adventures in Port Melbourne.