The inner northern suburb of North Melbourne is ideally situated only a short distance away from the busy city centre of Melbourne, but this along with affordable rates is what makes it such a popular place to stay.
North Melbourne provides all types of travellers with a much more relaxed atmosphere and numerous things for you to experience, all within close proximity to the Melbourne city centre.
North Melbourne is ideally positioned only 2 kilometres north of the Melbourne city centre and is a vibrant suburb with an exciting retail precinct and lots of fashionable cafes. Travellers really enjoy this suburb because it has a vibrant energy, range of delightdul restaurants, boutique shops, trendy bars and the ever popular Queen Victoria Market.
North Melbourne is very much about lifestyle and the relaxed atmosphere of this suburb is typified one of the reasons why Melbourne was named in an international poll as the world’s most livable city.
North Melbourne's Attractions
North Melbourne has plenty of different things to see and do situated close by, including:
- Etihad Stadium is close by where you can watch exciting games of Australian Rules Football during winter, as well as cricket, soccer, rugby and live concerts throughout the rest of the year.
- Numerous cafes that not only serve delicious coffees and lattes but also have a selection of mouth-watering cakes.
- The Melbourne Zoo where you can watch lots of unique animals from all over the world play in their native habitats as well as being a great place for a relaxing picnic.
- The Queen Victoria Market where you will discover lots of fresh produce and well as bargains on all sorts of other different items for yourself, your home or your friends.
You will need to be aware that when visiting Melbourne that you will also need to contend with the city's notoriously changeable weather. North Melbourne can can experience four seasons in a day so you will always need to be prepared.
Accommodation in North Melbourne
Throughout the North Melbourne there are numerous accommodation options available, ranging from fully self contained serviced apartments and luxury hotels right through to budget motel and backpacker accommodation. Click here for a comprehensive list of discount North Melbourne accommodation that is available, including cheaper rates for long term stays.
Restaurants in North Melbourne
Throughout the North Melbourne area you will be able to find a wonderful selection of fine dining restaurants which have a range of cuisines from all over the world. North Melbourne has fast developed a reputation as being a cosmopolitan place to enjoy a coffee or an delightful evening meal, and this is typified by the many trendy bars, alfresco cafes and other cosmopolitan eateries that this suburb now has.
Some restaurant areas in North Melbourne are :
- Victoria Street - all the way along this street to the Queen Victoria Market there are lots of bars, cafes, food outlets and restaurants serving a variety of different dishes.
- Errol Street - the main street in North Melbourne is where you will find all sorts of things to eat from cheap take-away food through to quality restaurant meals.
- Queensberry Street - there are a number of quaint cafes, bakeries and food stores situated along this street.
Shopping in North Melbourne
The inner city suburb of North Melbourne has some great value for money shopping with plenty of shops selling all sorts of items including home wares, groceries, music, gifts, crafts and fashion. One of North Melbourne's main attractions is the ever popular Queen Victoria Market where travellers will be able to pick up a bargain on all sorts of goods including belts, clothes, shoes, arts & crafts, pictures, decorations, kids toys, jewellery and much more. The market also includes a large selection of affordable fresh produce, bakeries, butchers, delicatessans and fish mongers.
Shopping, fashion and entertainment are features of North Melbourne with busy Errol Street lined with all sorts of different shops inlcuding boutique fashion stores, novelty shops, beauty stores and plenty more.