Melbourne is a relatively modern city that is less than 200 years old. The city of Melbourne combines new futuristic developments with historic buildings and has a unique culture all of its own.
Staying near the Melbourne Airport is very much about convenience and it is one of the most affordable suburbs in the world’s most livable city.
There is much to love about Melbourne and the airport area of Tullamarine is no exception. This regions is located about 23 kilometres from the Melbourne CBD it takes approximately half an hour to reach the international and domestic airport terminals from the city centre. It is no huge surprise to residents that their city has been named in an international poll as the world’s most livable city.
Melbourne Airport's Attractions
The Melbourne Airport region has lot of things to see located close by, including:
- Plenty of sporting fields and facilities where you can play tennis, cricket, soccer, squash, netball and or course footy (or Australian Rules Football.
- Numerous discount factory outlets where you can find special bargains for yourself, your home or as a present for others.
You will need to be aware that when visiting Melbourne that you will also need to contend with the city's notoriously changeable weather, particularly near the Melbourne Airport. Melbourne is known for experiencing four seasons in a day so you will always need to be prepared.
Accommodation in Melbourne Airport
Throughout the Melbourne Airport there are numerous accommodation options available, ranging from fully self contained serviced apartments and luxury hotels right through to budget motel and backpacker accommodation. Click here for a full list of hotel accommodation near the Melbourne Airport.
Restaurants in Melbourne Airport
Outside of the Melbourne Airport in the suburb of Tullamarine there are a variety of different restaurants serving lots of cuisines from all over the world. Tullamarine and the Melbourne Airport region is well catered for in terms of places to have an evening meal, coffee or lunch because the area has to deal with so many people travelling through it on a day to day basis.
Some of the main restaurant areas at the Melbourne Airport include :
- Mickleham Road - on the northern side of the Tullamarine Freeway there are a number of fast food outlets, take-away shops and eat-in restaurants where you can enjoy a delightful meal.
- The Melbourne Airport Terminal - once inside the International or Domestic terminal there are a variety of different place to get food or a drink, although they can be a little bit pricey.
- Westfield Airport West Shopping Centre - within the shopping centre you will find fast food outlets, cafes and a food court serving affordable meals.
Shopping in Melbourne Airport
The suburb of Tullamarine around the Melbourne Airport has a number of places where you can do shome shopping. There are numerous small shopping strips nearby selling all sorts of items including homewares, gifts, groceries and fashion. Alternatively you can always pick up some last minute gifts ideas, uniquely Australian fashion or luggage at the airport terminals, although their prices are a little bit more than normal shops.
Also within the region of the Melbourne Airport you will discover the popular Westfield Airport West Shopping Centre which is filled with a wide variety of fashion boutiques, novelty shops, fresh food outlets, cafes, department stores and even a supermarket for all of your day to day needs. Another popular place to shop nearby is the Essendon Airport DFO (Direct Factory Outlet) which is situated off Bulla Road and contains a wide variety of different fashion labels selling clothes and shoes at discount tprices.