The city of Melbourne is a relatively modern city, which is less than 200 years old, and it seamlessly combines new futuristic designs with historic buildings and a unique multi-cultural atmosphere that is showcased by the inner city suburb of Footscray.
There is much to love about Footscray, just ask the locals. They love the subrbs vibrant energy, choice of ethnic dining, various shops including Italian, Yugoslavian and Vietnamese stores, bars and ever popular market. Ideally positioned only 5 kilometers west of the Melbourne city centre the suburb of Footscray is close to everything in Melbourne.
By choosing to stay in the inner city suburb of Footscray you have choosen the lifestyle in a multi-cultural neighbourhood above the hustle and bustle of the busy city centre.
Footscray has lot of different things to see located close by, including:
- Numerous sporting facilities where you can play tennis, cricket, soccer, squash, netball and or course footy (or Australian Rules Football.
- Plenty of discount bargain shops where you can find something special for yourself, your home or as a present for others.
- Close proximity to Flemington Racecourse where you can watch exciting horse races including the world famous Melbourne Cup on the first Tuesday of November.
In Melbourne the people embrace the city's notoriously changeable weather. It is a standing joke in Australia that Melbourne can experience four seasons in a day, but really this is just another example of how the city has it all.
Accommodation in Footscray
Throughout the Footscray there are numerous accommodation options available, ranging from fully self contained serviced apartments and luxury hotels right through to budget motel and backpacker accommodation. Click here for a full list of the Footscray accommodation that is available including discount rates for long term bookings.
Restaurants in Footscray
The multi-cultural suburb of Footscray contains a vast array of restaurants which really do reflect the diverse range of cuisines that are on offer throughout Melbourne. Footscray is fast becoming known as a fascinating place to enjoy an evening meal or a coffee during the afternoon and this is typified by the number of affordable eating establishments that the suburb has.
The main restaurant areas in Footscray are :
- Nicholson Street - right along this street there a numerous cafes and restaurants serving cuisines from all over the world, especially oriental food.
- Footscray Market - within and surrounding the market you will find a number of cafes, bakeries and affordable dining establishments.
- Barkly Street - here there are a variety of take-away outlets, fast food shops and afforable restaurants.
Shopping in Footscray
The western suburb of Footscray is home to some of the best value for money shopping in Melbourne. It features plenty of shops selling all sorts of items including homewares, gifts, groceries and fashion. The majority of these shops in Footscray are located along busy Hopkins Street and in the Nicholson Street Mall, where you will find a variety of shops predominately of oriental origins.
Shopping, fashion and delightful food are features of Footscray with the busy streets lined with plenty of bargain shopping. Along Hopkins Street you can find the Footscray Market, which is one of Melbourne's more popular markets and boasts a large selection of affordable fresh produce, bakeries, butchers and also a variety of other stalls.