The Melbourne CBD is close to Fitzroy but it is relatively busy so many people decide to stay just out of there is inner-city suburbs like Fitzroy. The city of Melbourne combines new futuristic designs with historic buildings and a unique underground culture, which is never more present than in Fitzroy.
There is much to love about Fitzroy including such fascinating aspects like its vibrant energy, wide choice of restaurants, funky boutiques, cafes fashion, music and art. Staying in Fitzroy you will by placed just a short walk from the Melbourne CBD, the Melbourne museum and Royal Exhibition Building.
By choosing to stay in the inner city suburb of Fitzroy you have choosen the lifestyle in an eclectic neighbourhood above the hustle and bustle of the busy city centre.
Fitzroy has plenty of things to see and do for the adventurous traveller, including:
- Lovely historic houses and buildings that are full of great architectural features and character.
- Plenty of cosmopolitan cafes that not only serve delicious coffees and lattes but also have a selection of mouth-watering cakes.
- Close proximity to the MCG where you can watch exciting games of Footy (or Australian Rules Football) during winter and Cricket during the summer.
- The Melbourne Zoo is sitauted nearby and here you can see lots of unique animals from all over the world play in the native habitats that have been built for them.
- The Melbourne Museum is a great place to visit for an educational day out with the kids or by yourself.
Just be aware that when visiting Melbourne you will have to embrace the city's notoriously changeable weather, which can experience four seasons in a day.
Accommodation in Fitzroy
Throughout the Fitzroy there are numerous accommodation options available, ranging from fully self contained serviced apartments and luxury hotels right through to budget motel and backpacker accommodation. Click here for the full list of Fitzroy accommodation including discount rates for long term stays.
Restaurants in Fitzroy
There is an large variety of different restaurants in Fitzroy area and they reflect the diverse range of cuisines that are on offer throughout Melbourne. Fitzroy has a reputation for alternative dining including a selection of vegetarian restaurants that have to be experienced to be believed. Fitzroy is also a great place to have a coffee during the afternoon or simply make the most of the many alfresco eating establishments that the suburb has.
Some restaurant areas in Fitzroy include :
- Brunswick Street - as the main street in Fitzroy here you will find a wide selection of restaurants serving all sorts of cuisines and suitable for all types of budgets.
- Smith Street - has plenty of trendy cafes as well as a variety of restaurants and affordable eateries.
- Getrude Street - between Smith and Nicholson Streets there a lots of unique places to eat or have a drink.
- Lygon Street - although technically not in Fitzroy the Italian restaurant strip of Lygon Street is only a short walk away.
Shopping in Fitzroy
The inner northern suburb of Fitzroy is home to some of the best alternative shopping in Melbourne with a plenty of shops selling all sorts of items including homewares, unique gifts, groceries and all sorts of fashion from discount items to exclusive labels. One of the main attractions in Fitzroy is busy Smith Street which is famous for having various alternative shops like Friends of the Earth, as well as many other fashion outlets, cafes, hairdressers and artistic shops.
Shopping, fashion and entertainment are well known features of Fitzroy, with busy Brunswick Street lined with clothing shops, footwear stores, quality brands and even discount fashion at numerous factory outlets. So why not head along for a little bit of retail therapy whilst you are staying in the Melbourne suburb of Fitzroy.