The inner city suburb of East Melbourne is conveniently positioned just a short distance away from the city centre of Melbourne, and this along with the affordable accommodation options available is what makes it such a popular place to stay.
East Melbourne provides various travellers with a much more relaxed atmosphere, numerous things to experience and great discount accommodation rates, all within close proximity to the Melbourne CBD.
East Melbourne is a vibrant suburb with a trendy cafes, stately terrace homes and mansions, St Patricks Cathedral and lots of botanic parklands and gardens. Travellers really enjoy this suburb because it the home of the Melbourne Cricket Ground and Melbourne Park Tennis Centre, as well as being only walking distance to the Yarra River, Parliament House and everything that the city centre has to offer.
If you are looking for a place to stay in Melbourne that has a great lifestyle and is close to everything that the world’s most livable city has to offer then look no further than East Melbourne.
East Melbourne's Attractions
East Melbourne has plenty of different things to see and do situated close by, including:
- Throughout the suburb there are lots of beautiful old, historic houses and mansions that are full of great architectural features.
- Close proximity to the MCG where you can watch exciting games of Australian Rules Football (AFL) during winter and Cricket during the summer.
- The Melbourne Park tennis Centre which is home to the Australian Open Tennis tournament every January.
- Vodaphone Arena which throughout the year plays host to many major concerts, shows and live performances.
- Close proximity to the the Queen Victoria Market where you can buy your fresh produce and also find lots of discount bargains on plenty of other different items.
When travelling to a new city like Melbourne the best part is often when you depart from the normal tourist trail and glimpse the city’s “real” character. While the big attractions can be great, often it’s the more unique “insider” experiences that leave you feeling really satisfied on your travels.
Accommodation in East Melbourne
Throughout the East Melbourne there are numerous accommodation options available, ranging from fully self contained serviced apartments and luxury hotels right through to budget motel and backpacker accommodation. Click here for a full list of affordable East Melbourne accommodation which is available, including cheaper rates for longer stays.
Restaurants in East Melbourne
Within the tranquil confines of East Melbourne you will be able to find a great selection of fine dining restaurants which serve a variety of dishes from all over the world. East Melbourne is known for being stepped in history with plenty of exclusive grand old buildings and now it is becoming known as a cosmopolitan place to enjoy an evening meal or coffee. This is reflected by the many alfresco cafes and other dining establishments that the suburb has.
Some restaurant areas in East Melbourne include :
- Wellington Parade - here you will find a number of quality restaurants serving both exclusive and affordable food.
- Victoria Parade - along this main raod you will find a number of fast food outlets, hotel bars serving food and take-away stores.
- Bridge Road - whilst technically not in East Melbourne Bridge Road is only a short walk away and features numerous fine restaurants, cafes and bars.
Shopping in East Melbourne
Shopping is commonly known as "retail therapy" and over the years it has become an important part of the lives of Melbournians. If you decide to stay in the suburb of East Melbourne you will be just a short distance away from all of the best shopping that the city has to offer. You will find a wide selection of boutique stores, fashion outlets, bookstores, galleries, homeware shops and novelty stores in the nearby shopping precincts of Bridge Road in Richmond, Brunswick Street in Fitzroy or the Bourke Street Mall and Melbourne Central Shopping Centre in the heart of the Melbourne CBD.