The CBD area is the busiest part of Melbourne, but by choosing to stay in the Docklands waterfront precinct on the western side of the CBD you will be surprised by the relative quiet of the location. Relatively a modern city, which is less than 200 years old, Melbourne combines new futuristic designs with historic buildings and a unique underground culture.
The Docklands precinct is a modern suburb that has been well designed and is filled with futuristic building designs, corporate offices, spacious shopping areas and plenty of space to enjoy the Yarra River.
There is much to love about Docklands, just ask all of the locals who love its modern feel. The Docklands precinct is made up of modern high rise apartments, restaurants and shopping outlets as well as Etihad Stadium where regular sporting and cultural events are staged. Many residents wanting to be close to the city have also been drawn to the area because of its great accommodation overlooking the city skyline and water.
Staying in Docklands is very much a choice of lifestyle. It is no huge surprise to residents that this city has been named in an international poll as the world’s most livable city.
Docklands has plenty of different things to see and do situated close by, including:
- Plenty of waterfront cafes and restaurants that not only serve delicious food and coffees but also have a selection of mouth-watering desserts.
- Close proximity to Etihad Stadium where you can watch exciting games of Footy (or Australian Rules Football) during winter, as well as cricket, soccer, rugby and live concerts throughout the rest of the year.
- A wide selection of fashion shops where you can find something special for yourself, your family or as a present for others.
- Close proximity to the Queen Victoria Market where you can find lots of fresh produce as well as bargains on all sorts of different items.
You will need to be aware that when visiting Melbourne, and in particular the Docklands princt, that you will also need to contend with the city's notoriously changeable weather. Docklands can can experience four seasons in a day so you will always need to be prepared for all eventualities.
Accommodation in Docklands
Throughout the Docklands there are numerous accommodation options available, ranging from fully self contained serviced apartments and luxury hotels right through to budget motel and backpacker accommodation. Click here for a full list of the Docklands waterfront accommodation that is available including discount rates for longer stays.
Restaurants in Docklands
Situated in and around the Docklands waterfront precinct travellers will discover a great selection of fine dining restaurants which serve a range of cuisines from all over the world, as well as some more affordable food options. Docklands has fast developed a reputation as being a cosmopolitan place to enjoy an evening meal overlooking the water, or a coffee during the afternoon, and this is reflected by the many alfresco bars, cafes and other eating establishments that this precinct now has.
Some restaurant spots in the Docklands area include :
- Waterfront Way - situated around the base of the Southern Star observation wheel are numerous restaurants, hotel bars with great meals and take-away outlets serving budget food.
- Docklands Drive - situated along the waterfront of the high-rise apartments which are in Docklands Drive are many fine dining restaurants that provide a truly unique dining experience.
- Bourke Street - around Bourke Street and the waterfront at Victoria Habour are quite a few delightful restaurants, as well as some fast food outlets serving more affordable food.
Shopping in Docklands
The waterfront precinct of Docklands is home to some of the best shopping in Melbourne with a plenty of shops located in the popular Harbour Town Shopping Centre. The shops in this shopping plaza are generally open late at night and sell all sorts of items including a variety of homewares, gifts, kids toys, music and a large range of fashions from all over the world. One of the main attractions of Docklands that keeps people coming to this area from all over Melbourne is the Costco shopping centre that specializes in selling everyday items at hugely discounted prices provided that you buy in bulk.