The inner northern suburb of Carlton is conveniently positioned just a short distance away from the busy part of the Melbourne CBD, however this is what makes it such a popular place to stay.
Carlton provides travellers on all sorts of budgts with a much more relaxed atmosphere, numerous things to experience and affordable accommodation rates, all within close proximity to the Melbourne CBD.
Carlton is ideally positioned only 2 kilometres north of the Melbourne city centre and is a vibrant suburb with an exciting retail precinct and Melbourne's famous Italian district on Lygon Street which includes lots of fashionable cafes and restaurants. Travellers staying in this suburb will also be close to the University of Melbourne, RMIT, Royal Women's Hospital, Royal Exhibition Building and the Melbourne museum.
People looking for a place to stay in that heart of Melbourne which has a great lifestyle and is one of the most cosmopolitan suburbs around should look no further than Carlton.
Carlton has plenty of different things to see and do situated close by, including:
- The Queen Victoria Market is nearby, where you can find lots of fresh produce and well as bargains on all sorts of different items.
- Plenty of cosmopolitan cafes, bars and restaurants that not only serve delicious coffees, lattes and food but also have a selection of mouth-watering desserts.
- The Melbourne Museum is filled with interesting and exciting exhibits, which make it a great place to visit for the kids or families.
- Wonderful fashion shops where you can find something special for yourself, your family or as a present for others.
- Close proximity to the Melbourne Zoo where you can see different animals from all over the world, take a relaxing picnic or go for a walk amoungst the native habitats of unique creatures.
Often when visiting a new city the best part is when you unexpectedly depart from the tourist trail and glimpse the city’s “true” nature. While the big attractions can be great fun, often it’s the more subtle “insider” experiences that leave you feeling really satisfied.
Accommodation in Carlton
Throughout the Carlton there are numerous accommodation options available, ranging from fully self contained serviced apartments and luxury hotels right through to budget motel and backpacker accommodation. Click here for a full list of Carlton hotel and apartment accommodation that is available including cheaper rates for longer stays.
Restaurants in Carlton
There are numerous restaurants in Carlton and they reflect the diverse range of cuisines that are on offer throughout Melbourne, however this suburb is mostly famous as being the home of "Little Italy". Melbourne has a reputation as being a culinary capital and this is in true evidence in the popular suburb of Carlton. Lygon Street is often regarded as Melbourne's finest restaurant precinct, not only because of the wide selection of place to eat, but also because of its atmosphere and affordability.
Some restaurant areas in Carlton include :
- Lygon Street - this street is commonly referred to as 'Little Italy' and is famous throughout Melbourne for its huge variety of different cafes and restaurants serving mainly Italian food, but also featuring Thai, Chinese, Japanese and other cuisines. Lygon Street also has a number of trendy bars, wine houses, ice cream shops and places where you can get a delicious dessert until late in the evening.
- Gratton Street - features a number of very affordable eateries close to the University of Melbourne.
- Rathdowne Street - right along the street there are a few high quality restaurants as well as more affordable restaurants and take-away outlets.
Shopping in Carlton
Shopping is one of the great attractions that brings people to and makes people want to stay in the suburb of Carlton. The suburb is known for its large collection of fashion boutiques that are mainly concentrated along the Lygon Street shopping strip. Also within Carlton are lots of discount clothing stores selling everything from shoes and dresses to ties and suits, craft shops, fresh produce outlets, homeware stores and cafes for that relaxing break.
Also within close reach of Carlton you will find the popular Queen Victoria Market, which is filled with a wide variety of affordable fresh produce including organic fruits and vegetables, meats, numerous delicatessans, bakeries and a variety of other stalls selling everything that you can think of.