The bayside area of Melbourne is an extremely popular place with local Melbournians and a suburb like Brighton is also a popular place to stay because it is located within a close proximity to the city centre but provides a much more relaxed feel and has plenty of things for travellers to experience and explore.
There is much to love about Brighton, just ask the locals. They love the colourful bathing boxes along beach, the Beach Road cycling route, the walking track that winds along the seashore, the choice of restaurants, funky boutiques, cafes, cool bars and art galleries. Brighton attracts a diverse range of travellers and is one of Melbourne's most affluent neighbourhoods.
By choosing to stay in the beach side suburb of Brighton you have choosen the relaxed lifestyle of the rich and famous above the hustle and bustle of the busy city centre.
Brighton has plenty of things to see and do for the discerning visitor, including:
- Plenty of sporting fields and facilities where you can play tennis, cricket, soccer, squash, netball and or course footy (or Australian Rules Football.
- Wonderful fashion shops where you can find something special for yourself, your family or as a present for others.
- Plenty of cosmopolitan cafes that serve delightful coffees, lattes and also have a selection of mouth-watering desserts.
- Close proximity to the beach where you can watch the waves lap the shore, go for a realxing walk or have fun with the kids in the safe, swimming waters of Port Phillip Bay.
You will need to be aware that when visiting Melbourne that you will also need to contend with the city's notoriously changeable weather. Melbourne can can experience four seasons in a day so you will always need to be prepared.
Accommodation in Brighton
Throughout the Brighton there are numerous accommodation options available, ranging from fully self contained serviced apartments and luxury hotels right through to budget motel and backpacker accommodation. Click here for a full list of Brighton accommodation options including discount rates for longer stays.
Restaurants in Brighton
As one of the most exclusive suburbs of Melbourne you will discover a number of trendy cafes and fine dining restaurants in Brighton that reflect the diverse range of cuisines that are on offer throughout the city. Brighton has a reputation as being a cosmopolitan place to enjoy an evening meal or a coffee during the afternoon and this is typified by the number of alfresco eating establishments that the suburb has.
Some of the main restaurant areas in Brighton include :
- Church Street - situated in Middle Brighton this main street is filled with delightful dining options and cosmopolitan cafes.
- Bay Street - is another street in Brighton that is very popular because of its many restaurants, cafes and bars.
- Waterfront Dining - there are also a number of places scattered along the waterfront where you can enjoy a delightful meal, light lunch of coffer whilst enjoying views across Port Phillip Bay.
Shopping in Brighton
Shopping is an important part of not only living in Brighton but also when visiting Brighton. The suburb includes plenty of boutique stores, exclusive fashion outlets, cake shops, bookstores, arts & craft shops, homeware stores and even supermarkets for you day to day needs. There are 2 main shopping strips in Brighton, the first and largest is along Church Street in what is known as Middle Brighton and the second is along Bay Street. Both of these shopping strips are filled with excellent places to find unique gifts, delightful fashion and even have a coffee during your "retail therapy".